Friday, August 28, 2009

Reiko & Tori Kudo


In hunting around for more Maher Shalal Hash Baz recordings on the web, I came across a new album released by Reiko Kudo and Tori Kudo (though the music was recorded in 2005 and 2006). It's called Light, and I found it at the fantastic blog Experimental Etc. It's one of those album postings where I could have been like, "Eh, it's just some odd release by two people that are in a band I like, but I don't really care to check it out. I'll pass."

For some reason I decided to listen to Light, and thank goodness I did. It's beautiful. Much like the music of Maher Shalal Hash Baz, the songs on Light radiate some kind of emotional power I can't describe, but every time I play this album it draws me in and leaves me breathless.

And that's just the music. When I checked out the liner notes and read the translations of the lyrics, the album took on a whole new level of beauty.

No comments: